The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.

We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.

This is my first daring bakers challenge and I really enjoyed it. I had trouble not changing the recipe for the Chocolate Valentino as this is similar to a flourless chocolate torte that I make often. Both recipes are incredibly simple, the daring bakers one so simple in fact that I made it in the ten minutes it took my husband to read four books to our baby.

I really became interested in chocolate this month. I checked out Theo Chocolates here in Seattle on Valentine's Day. I tried to take a tour of the factory but it was full. If I had enough money, I would have chosen Theo Chocolate's limited edition Ghost Chili dark chocolate as the base for my Chocolate Valentino. Alas, I just don't have that sort of bank roll. So I went with Ghiradelli's 72% baking chocolate, which I discovered is the perfect percentage of cacao for my tastes.

For the ice cream, I adapted the vanilla ice cream recipe to create a cardamom flavored one. It was so amazing, I think it deserves it's own separate post. It disappeared from our freezer faster than any other ice cream I've made. I think this is mostly because it has more butter fat than any other recipe I've attempted.


After trying both cakes, I have to say I prefer my flourless chocolate torte to this one. The Chef Wan recipe is a bit drier and less sweet where my torte is more moist and not 'too chocolatey'.

Here is my recipe:

Flourless Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Sauce
Original Source: Renata Foucre

Preheat oven to 325 F.

9 oz semisweet chocolate
1 c. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
5 whole eggs
½ c. superfine sugar
1 Tbs. cocoa powder
1 Tbs. superfine sugar
2 Tbs. vanilla extract

parchment paper
9 in springform pan
12 oz frozen raspberries
3 Tb. Sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
½ pint whipping cream
1 tsp. sugar

Combine semisweet chocolate and butter in a double boiler, melt. Let cool.
Combine eggs and ½ c. sugar in mixer 1 min on high speed. Combine 1 Tbs. cocoa powder and 1 tbs sugar, add to eggs. Combine vanilla extract and melted chocolate mixture. Pour in greased, sugared parchment lined springform pan. Wrap bottom of pan in aluminum foil to prevent water from leaking in. Place pan in water bath so that water is ¾ up sides. Bake at 325 F, 45-50 min. Cool on wire rack w/ form open, then invert.

Combine raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in blender. Push through fine sieve with spatula. Combine whipping cream and sugar, whip. Spread extra melted chocolate on granite surface (if available). Scrape chocolate into curls. Sprinkle on top of torte with a little cocoa powder. Serve topped with whipped cream and raspberry sauce.


2 comments

  1. Anonymous on March 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM

    Glad you enjoyed your first Daring Baker's challnege! Welcome!
    Stacie

     
  2. Mary on March 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM

    It was such a fast challenge--I agree. Cardamom ice cream sounds fabulous. I wish I'd thought of that as I have plenty of it from an earlier DB challenge. Congrats on your first challenge...it looks scrumptious!

     


Post a Comment